Saturday, March 7, 2009

Reactions to "Culture Jam" by Kalle Lasn

The overall point of “Spring” in Kalle Lasn's Culture Jam is to introduce the “culture jammer,” the hero behind the information war the author predicts is looming. Lasn details individuals, organizations and philosophies throughout history that have challenged popular culture and consumerism. He lays out his argument clearly and persuasively, and turns his reader into a jammer ready to take on a battle of his or her choice. As Lasn paints the culture jammer's portrait, the reader identifies with the intentions of the movement, discovering a desire to stand up and take action. The author's writing style is easily understandable and enjoyable, and he presents data in a no-nonsense manner that embarrasses the average American for being “cool.”

I enjoyed most everything Lasn had to say in “Spring,” but the item that sticks with me no matter what is the quote inserted after the introduction, which is referenced later in the section (123): “World War III will be a guerrilla information war, with no division between military and civilian participation.” This quote by Marshall McLuhan is one of my greatest fears. Information is what drives society today. An article on Global Research describes the Information Operation Roadmap which was released buy the Pentagon in 2003. Excerpts of the document detail the increasing threat posed against military sanctions on the Internet and state: “We Must Fight the Net. The Department of Defense's 'Defense in Depth' strategy should operate on the premise that the Department will 'fight the net' as it would a weapons system." This was preceded by the following comments from The Project for a New American Century's Rebuilding America's Defenses, published in 2000:

"It is now commonly understood that information and other new technologies... are creating a dynamic that may threaten America's ability to exercise its dominant military power."

"Control of space and cyberspace. Much as control of the high seas - and the protection of international commerce - defined global powers in the past, so will control of the new "international commons" be a key to world power in the future. An America incapable of protecting its interests or that of its allies in space or the "infosphere" will find it difficult to exert global political leadership."

"Although it may take several decades for the process of transformation to unfold, in time, the art of warfare on air, land, and sea will be vastly different than it is today, and "combat" likely will take place in new dimensions: in space, "cyber-space," and perhaps the world of microbes."

It's clear that Lasn's reference is right on target. Since our freedoms were written into l aw, they've been challenged. The freedom of press, speech, religion, etc., has faced us for years. Now, we prepare to fight for freedom of information.

Lasn says that most intellectuals like to talk, but fail to take action when they're concerned about a particular issue. He says that academics are to blame as well, and that while most university courses preach the ethical practices of anti-consumerism and free thinking, they never give their students any real ammunition to stand up for something. (116) I completely agree with this opinion. The generation I am from is preached to about racism, feminism, sexism, and all the other “isms,” however, I don't see many students inspired enough by their studies to take action. The act of teaching requires more than simply regurgitating information to a group of people these days. I praise educators at all levels who challenge the system norms in order to urge their students to become involved.

I found Lasn's description of the “emulator” on page 102 considerably interesting. I've always thought of mainstream consumers as “sheep” or “robots,” but I've never heard the term that Lasn introduces. The urge to consume is absolutely driven by the urge to escape one's own reality. People dress fashionably, wear make-up, have plastic surgery and dye their hair to become something that they're not. They drive Hummers so that they feel bigger than they really are. They watch 10 hours of television a day so that their imaginations can carry them away to a fictional life. Until I read about the emulator, I chalked all of this up to the need to conform; now I see it as the need to escape.

Lasn has big dreams, and that's what's scary. As a fellow culture jammer, I see the desperation in saving our planet, closing the gap between the rich and the impoverished, and in promoting free-thinking and the access to information. How do I jam this culture? I don't buy name brand clothing unless it honestly fits me better (like Levis jeans). I don't subscribe to cable or any other television service. Therefore, I don't watch commercials. I limit as much advertising from my view as possible. I accomplish this by trashing every insert that comes in my newspapers, by using Adblock and Flashblock extensions in my Mozilla Firefox web browser, and by boycotting radio. My entertainment comes in the fashion of downloading, where I choose the music I listen to and the movies I watch, and commercials and networks don't tell me which television shows to become hooked on. I also use open source software. My operating system is free, my programs are free, and I don't have to fear the threat of viruses on mainstream options. Best of all, I get to boycott Microsoft, which has been a goal of mine for some time now. I'm eco-friendly as well, and take advantage of both giving and receiving materials from thrift stores. My family has recently started limiting our intake of waste. We're taking simple steps, like buying jugs of water instead of bottles. Anything to reduce the amount of waste we contribute to our nation's landfills is worth it. Lasn says that taking these small steps isn't enough, and I do agree. That's why I'm aiming for a career in information technology where my voice can be heard more clearly. I'd like to work in a field where I can orchestrate the types of mass jamming Lasn speaks about in his book. I hope that more people take heed to his message, and change their tune real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment