Saturday, March 7, 2009

Obama vs. McCain on Foreign Policy

As long as I've been involved in politics, I've held a strong isolationist view regarding foreign policy. Why should we be the world's police? Here in America, at home, we have enough problems to worry about: a broken educational system, a crippling health care industry, and an embarrassing divide between the rich and the poor. Wars have always seemed foolish to me, especially when we aren't being threatened directly. I never understood Vietnam and I still don't understand Iraq. I always praised Bill Clinton for his ability to sit down with world leaders and draw up treaties. I don't think I've seen George W. Bush do that once in his eight long, miserable years as president. His internationalism has made him a bully – doing what he wants when he wants to, with disregard for the opinions of his fellow world leaders.

Therefore, when this election season came about, I was excited to hear all the candidates – particularly the Democrat candidates – had to offer regarding the war in Iraq and our involvement in other nations' problems. I declared my position as a Democrat when I turned 18 and started voting. It was at that point-in-time that I realized a little bit about how the world works, and I discovered that conservatives enjoy war more than liberals. I found that conservatives get their leg up on society by practicing war and by bullying others into a corner to get what they want. Liberals, on the other hand, tend to look out for the best interest of everyone involved, for the most part (I'm not saying there aren't bad Democrats.), and are more cautious about decisions affecting millions of lives. They are more willing to reach an agreement regarding any given situation. The Republicans call it weak; I call it smart. Who wants to be a bully, anyway?

My views regarding foreign policy changed somewhat, though, once I enrolled in Political Science 103. Never before had I seen foreign policy through the Mackin lens – a very clear, honest depiction of what is really going on in the world. The picture was painted nicely for me. Our forefathers set the stage for Manifest Destiny, creating the base of a nation powerful enough to rule the world. By doing that, it has been necessary to be visible worldwide. We've made ourselves visible worldwide by positioning our military forces where necessary – currently in about 100 countries. These forces work maritime magic, making trade possible, protecting weak borders, and keeping an eye on instabilities that might soon be a threat to the homeland. Never before did I have such an appreciation for our military. Now that I understand their purpose a little better, I have great pride in our military, and am grateful for their duties abroad, even if I still think we could reduce our military involvement in certain areas of the world.

Regarding Iraq, I have been itching for a candidate to come along and promise to withdraw our troops immediately. Americans are still unsure of exactly why we are there. It has something to do with oil, something to do with vengeance, and next-to-nothing to do with counter-terrorism. For heaven's sake, it was our Central Intelligence Agency that taught these terrorists the most effective ways to blow us up. I don't buy it. Then, a miracle happened. A man named Barack Obama came along, making his bid for the Presidency. He offers a fresh, new outlook on politics, promising to clean up Washington, eliminating power-hunger and the bullying tactics the conservatives have offered for so long. He also promises to end the War in Iraq, beginning with almost immediate troop withdrawals if he is elected. This is my one problem with Obama, whom I support very strongly. Obama will not bring all of our troops home immediately. With Iran already threatening both Iraq and the United States, we cannot pull out of this conflict without creating a worse situation. If we leave Iraq in a weakened state, Iran will invade, and we will be right back to square one, but in a much deeper situation. Then, thanks to the nuclear weaponry Vice President Dick Cheney and Haliburton set them up with, we will be an obvious target for Iran. Obama says if the problem in Iraq escalates once we begin withdrawing troops, we'll just send them back in. This might work, but like Mackin says, you can't move these people around like chess pieces on a board. It's dangerous and irresponsible. Still, I want to see us out of Iraq, but I don't think even Obama can do that just yet. It's going to take time, no matter what. I think, however, that Obama can regain the trust and support of fellow countries, which, I think, is the first step to winning any conflict.

In the remainder of this essay, I will outline the foreign policy views of both Obama and his Republican opponent, John McCain. The majority of this information comes directly from each candidate's Web site.

Barack Obama on Foreign Policy

“When I am this party's nominee, my opponent will not be able to say that I voted for the war in Iraq; or that I gave George Bush the benefit of the doubt on Iran; or that I supported Bush-Cheney policies of not talking to leaders that we don't like. And he will not be able to say that I wavered on something as fundamental as whether or not it is ok for America to torture — because it is never ok… I will end the war in Iraq… I will close Guantanamo. I will restore habeas corpus. I will finish the fight against Al Qaeda. And I will lead the world to combat the common threats of the 21st century: nuclear weapons and terrorism; climate change and poverty; genocide and disease. And I will send once more a message to those yearning faces beyond our shores that says, "You matter to us. Your future is our future. And our moment is now.”

Obama plans to end the war in Iraq with immediate troop withdrawal, bringing home one to two combat brigades each month, with all troops removed within sixteen months. He vows to build no permanent bases in Iraq, but will maintain some troops to protect our embassy and diplomats. The next step is to “press Iraq's leaders to take responsibility for their future ... to make it clear that we are leaving.” This part of the plan requires assistance from the United Nations to discuss issues like federalism and oil revenue-sharing. The remainder of this agenda involves working with Iraq's surrounding nations to build strong borders and safe havens for Iraqi refugees. As far as Iran goes, Obama wants to sit down and talk with its leaders, a move the Bush administration has failed to attempt.

Obama also promises to crack down on the proliferation of nuclear weapons. He wants to secure all loose nuclear materials throughout the world within four years, negotiate a verifiable ban on the production of new nuclear weapons, and take steps to create a world free of nuclear weapons altogether.

Obama also plans to aid foreign involvement by strengthening our military, adding 65,000 soldiers to the Army and 27,000 Marines. He vows to give our troops new equipment, armor, training, and skills like language training.

Obama's Web site states, “Under the Bush administration, foreign policy has been used as a political wedge issue to divide us – not as a cause to bring America together. And it is no coincidence that one of the most secretive administrations in history has pursued policies that have been disastrous for the American people. Obama strongly believes that our foreign policy is stronger when Americans are united, and the government is open and candid with the American people.”

John McCain on Foreign Policy

“I know the pain war causes. I understand the frustration caused by our mistakes in this war. And I regret sincerely the additional sacrifices imposed on the brave Americans who defend us. But I also know the toll a lost war takes on an army and on our country's security. By giving General Petraeus and the men and women he has the honor to command the time and support necessary to succeed in Iraq we have before us a hard road. But it is the right road. It is necessary and just. Those who disregard the unmistakable progress we have made in the last year and the terrible consequences that would ensue were we to abandon our responsibilities in Iraq have chosen another road. It may appear to be the easier course of action, but it is a much more reckless one, and it does them no credit even if it gives them an advantage in the next election.”

McCain is clearly a military man, from military roots, and thinks that a strong military is the only way to international freedom. He says that to protect our homeland, our interests and our values, America must have the best-manned, best-equipped, and best-supported military in the world. He says that we should respond to any crisis that endangers American security militarily, and in doing so, we will prevail in any conflict we are forced to fight.

McCain is focused on fighting terrorism. He plans to do this, if elected, through quality intelligence, which he says will be used to uncover plots before they take root. He says this can be done without infringing on the rights of American citizens, and that restricting the freedoms for which our nation stands would give terrorists the victory they seek. However, with documents such as the Patriot Act, our rights are being taken away one by one. I feel that these “freedoms” are being taken away, contrary to what McCain seems to believe.

McCain also promises smarter defense spending, claiming the need to reform our defense acquisition process to ensure that taxpayers' dollars are actually spent on U.S. security rather than parochial interests. He says that military funds should be appropriated regularly, not by “emergency” supplementals that makes Congressional pork-barrel spending possible. Regarding Iraq, McCain says that the answer is not unconditional dialogues from a “position of weakness.” He says real pressure must be applied on Iran in order for it to change its behavior. Again, he insists on doing this with military posture.

In the end, I will vote for Barack Obama. While I have a greater appreciation for our military now, I still don't think forceful actions solve everything. I would like my President to exhaust every possibility necessary without going to war, and I believe Obama will do that. McCain, however, is a close second to Bush, and I'm ready to wave his administration and policies out the door. I won't be voting for four more years of the same tactics the conservatives have offered for the past eight. I honestly do understand that McCain has more military experience and that he may understand foreign policy better than Obama. However, I'm ready for a total change, and I have to hope that Obama will surround himself with leaders just as intelligent on the subject as McCain. I like Obama's approach, and to be honest, I'd take anything over the Republican school of thought in America today.


References

Associated Press. (2008, May 16.) Obama calls McCain foreign policy 'naïve.'

Barack Obama's Web site. Barack Obama's plan to secure America and restore our standing.

John McCain's Web site. National Security: A Strong Military in a Dangerous World.

John McCain's Web site. Strategy for Victory in Iraq.

Renewing American Leadership
. (2007, July/August). Foreign Affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment